Are you ready for a new tutorial? Our first 2014 tutorial is by our talented designer Leah. She will be showing us how to create beautiful custom pattern paper! You will love this tutorial. We’d love for you to join us this by using the tutorial below. Hugs, Joanna
Creating Custom Pattern Paper with Watercolor Background, Stamping and Heat Embossing
Hello friends, Leah here to share this week’s Whoo Hoo Wednesday Tutorial. I love creating my own pattern papers and today I am going to show you how you can create a lot of depth and texture to your patterns. Let’s get started!
To do this technique some supplies you’ll need are:
*Choice of watercolor medium. I chose to work with my Inktense Pencils but distress inks, Tombow markers or even just regular watercolors would work!
*Choice of stamps. To achieve the layering and depth I suggest choosing 3 images to work with, one large one, a small scale background and an accent stamp. The sets I am working with are the brand new released Vintage Roses and Spring Lilacs.
*Watercolor paper. This technique really won’t work with regular cardstock as it’s too much moisture for it to handle.
*Versamark ink and heat embossing powder and a heat gun.
You will begin by watercoloring you entire background panel that will be your main paper for you project. I chose three shades of red/pink and blended them together. I sped up the dry time by using my heat gun. I then chose my largest image to start stamping my pattern all over my watercolored background. I chose a coordinating ink color.
This is what my paper looked like after stamping all those gorgeous roses. I love how with a lined image the watercolored background does the coloring for you.
Next we want to add some layering and depth. I chose the delicate script found in the new Spring Lilacs set. I used a kraft colored ink so that it was visible but subtle.
My last step was to add my accent image in white embossing powder. This butterfly comes from the Spring Lilacs set. I love the pop of white on the monotone background!
All that’s left now is to create a card or project with your beautiful patterned paper. I created a card and used this fabulous sentiment found in Vintage Roses, added a little banner, some hemp twine, mini roses and finished it off with some tiny rhinestones. I hope you’ll give this technique a try! I’d love to see what you create. Have a creative day! ~ Leah
If you are joining along this week, here are all the details…
* Create a project, layout or card using the above technique!*
* Please upload your card/project to your blog or online gallery. Leave a link to your project using the linky widget at the bottom of this post. When uploading to online galleries please add WHW #126 to your post.
* To be eligible for this week’s blog candy prize we ask that you link back to our challenge.
* Don’t have a blog or online gallery? That’s o.k. we’d still love for you to join us! Please email me your project at firstname.lastname@example.org And I will add your project to the contest!
* DEADLINE: January 22nd, 2pm AEST (Brisbane, Australia)
* At this time ALL products (stamps, paper, dies) are welcomed with our challenge. You do not have to incorporate an IBS stamp set, die, ribbon or flowers.
* One winner will be randomly chosen & will be featured on our blog.
*You may enter as many times as you wish, but please only enter newly created projects for
* PLEASE REMEMBER…If you do create a card using IBS products, your card may be featured on our Facebook Page & Pinned to our “Inspiring Designs by Customers” Board.