It’s Tutorial Time and this week we have a great tutorial on how to make feathers from washi tape from the talented Shea Marshall! Please leave a comment below! Hugs, Joanna
Woo Hoo Wednesday – July 17
by Shea Marshall
Shea here with this week’s Woo Hoo Wednesday tutorial, and I’d like to show you how to make paper (or washi tape) feathers. I make my own washi tape because it allows me to customize my feathers to my cards! They are super easy and you only need a few supplies. (For Kendra’s tutorial on making your own washi tape, please visit http://joannamunster.com/2013/05/08/whw-100-make-your-own-washi-tape/)
A note: If you want realistic feathers, then white tape with maybe just a bit of brown or gray inking would do the trick; however, I wanted fanciful, colorful feathers, hence the bright colors!
Paper medical tape, any width (the wider the tape, the wider the feather)
Coloring media, i.e. paints, markers, inks, dyes
Stamps (I’ve used Delicate Doilies and flourishes from All Year Wishes II)
Covered florist wire
1) Cut a length of paper medical tape twice the length of your desired feather.
2) Color the pieces as desired. Here I’ve used 3 colors of shimmer paints per piece, but you can go as colorful or bare as you desire.
3) Ink up your stamps and go to town!
4) Place a florist wire in the middle of the tape on the sticky side, just short of the halfway point and fold the tape over, pressing firmly. Trim the four corners of the tape into a slightly rounded shape.
5) With small scissors, snip the sides going in an upward direction. The closer you snip to each previous snip, the more feathery your feather will appear. Be careful not to get too close!
Do some gentle fluffing and voila, you’re finished.
This is a great way to create your own unique embellishment, and you can go as simple or as fancy as you wish.
If you are joining along this week, here are all the details…
* Create a card or project on your blog sharing with us a different technique using washi tape or the tutorial above!*
* Please upload your card/project to your blog or online gallery. Leave a link to your project using the linky widget at the bottom of this post. When uploading to online galleries please add WHW #110 to your post.
* To be eligible for this week’s prize we ask that you link back to our challenge.
* Don’t have a blog or online gallery? That’s o.k. we’d still love for you to join us! Please email me your project at firstname.lastname@example.org And I will add your project to the contest!
* DEADLINE: July 24th, 2pm AEST (Brisbane, Australia) or 11:59pm July 24th EST
* At this time ALL products (stamps, paper, dies) are welcomed with our challenge. You do not have to incorporate an IBS stamp set, die, ribbon or flowers.
* One winner will be randomly chosen & will be featured on our blog.
*You may enter as many times as you wish, but please only enter newly created projects for submission (no back-dated projects that have been previously posted on your blog).
The Winner will receive a 4×4 stamp set of their choice from the Inspired by Stamping Store!
* PLEASE REMEMBER…If you do create a card using IBS products, your card may be featured on our Facebook Page & Pinned to our “Inspiring Designs by Customers” Board.
Good luck to everyone! We are so excited to see your creations!